Give the Day a Chance to Start

give the day a chance to start

Monday, December 10, 2007

Mentally Unhealthy

"The trouble with always trying to preserve the health of the body is that it is so difficult to do without destroying the health of the mind."
~G.K. Chesterton

The whole of last week, I had been uncharacteristically morose. People around me noticed that something was troubling me. I myself would be the first to admit that I was preoccupied and bothered, so much so that I turned into a scatter-brain and was totally incapable of being my cheerful self.

Last week may have been one of the worst couple of days I've had in years. This was simply because I had gotten (or allowed myself to get) so caught up about my health. It was something I had taken for granted for the longest time. Now, I find myself faced with a direct threat to my total physical well-being and I can't but worry worry worry that I may never get my full health back completely.

I'd managed to live a healthy lifestyle thus far and am in fact surrounded by a family of doctors. Despite that, I'm not exempted from getting sick; no one is. There's only so much we can do to preserve our health anyway. At the same time, like every normal person, I want to be healthy, utterly and completely in the best physical shape at all times.

I guess I was just being too much of a worry wart last week. Some of these sicknesses just need to take their course; they eventually resolve themselves (at least we kinda hope they do). There's really no reason for me to get so caught up in worrying about it at the expense of my mental health.

And of course, I can always just cling to this promise and put my doubts to rest:
"...
I am God your healer."
Exodus 15:27


Labels:


posted by mari_elle at 01:01
Comments: Post a Comment