Give the Day a Chance to Start

give the day a chance to start

Monday, November 28, 2005

Dilemma

A lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord. Proverbs 16:30

Just a few days ago, I was faced with the biggest dilemma--at least I thought I was. So bothered and confused was I that I actually had a bit of difficulty falling asleep, and mind you, that doesn't happend too often. At the end of every long day, I'm usually out cold the moment my head hits the pillow. But that dilemma just kept the wheels of my head turning and turning and turning...

Last week, I received a call from a very good friend of mine. He offered me a good opportunity of pursuing a job at one of the more distiguished companies in the call center industry. The job definitely offered better chances for career advancement, alongside a package more appealing than the one I am currently getting from my present company. It wasn't so much the material benefits that made me consider the offer though, but rather, it was the seemingly more promising career path that attracted me to my friend's proposal.

That night, I anxiously told my parents all about it over dinner, but much to my disappointment, they didn't seem as excited about the offer as I was. I got initially hurt by their seeming lack of support for me, but it was by the end of the meal that I was more saddened by the fact that they were right about their reason: the location of the company. It's all the way at Cainta for crying out loud! According to them, the perks of this new job would not be worth the hassle of traveling that far, amidst all the traffic jams, everly single working day. After much consideration, I decided that I will have to trust them on that. They know what they're talking about because they did that for years when we still lived all the way down south and they had to drive up north every day for work. Come to think of it, I also travelled all the way from Paranaque to UP for my first two years of college. I almost literally lived in the car.

Besides, it's not as if I'm unhappy with the work I'm doing now. I've already prayed about this, asking God to give me peace about my decision to stay. God knows I wouldn't want to look back on this and regret not having even tried. I got the answer to my prayer come Saturday during Bible study. Some of the friends I shared my dilemma with, who lived around the Cainta area, convinced me about how terribly hard it is to get there. They themselves said that the traffic there is utter chaos 24/7! It'd be difficult getting up in the morning, worrying about traffic even before the actual daily grind in the office now, wouldn't it?

So, location isn't such a flimsy consideration for a place of work. I thought it was, but I guess I thought wrong. I shouldn't feel bad over turning this "better offer" down. It ISN'T all that better after all. More opportunities will come along--ones that won't have a catch to it. I'm blessed to have people I can trust and look to for advice. I won't be hard-headed. I will listen. Dilemma solved.

Whoever gives heed to instruction prospers, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord. Proverbs 16:20

posted by mari_elle at 21:20
Comments:
Do what your heart says! Don't their advices seriously. You will larn from listening then applying different and better decisions.
 
Post a Comment