Give the Day a Chance to Start

give the day a chance to start

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Apathetic?

It's funny. I don't think I've ever seen the gym as empty as this.

I feel a tinge of guilt that amidst all the chaos brought about by the recent typhoon, I still managed to workout, do my routine, and go about my days completely oblivious to the devastation outside. As the storm hit the metro, I was safely tucked away inside my airconditioned office, phone and internet lines intact, and also blessed enough to go home to electricity and cable TV. It's only when I was able to really get out this weekend that I realized the extent of the damage caused by Milenyo. Seeing all those fallen branches, uprooted trees, damaged structures, and torn billboards (not to mention hearing about the suffering and losses it's caused other people) made me realize how apathetic I can get.

It hit me how I tend to detach myself from other people's plights just because I lead a relatively comfortable life. Shouldn't I have the burden to extend God's blessings with those in need? Shouldn't it come from me to get actively involved in outreaches? Or shouldn't I at least start by being sincerly concerned and in the know about what goes on outside my world, which now feels too small, too secure, and too isolated quite frankly.

Or is this just my savior complex acting up again?

posted by mari_elle at 20:06
Comments:
hindi ka nag-iisa. immediately after the typhoon nag gym din ako pero nag jogging muna ako labas kasi walang ilaw to power up the threadmill. nakita ko yung maraming puno na tumumba pero ano pa naman magagawa natin kundi tuloy na rin ang buhay diba?
 
I'm amazed you had the guts to go outside amidst the strong winds. Had I done that, I'm pretty sure I'd have been blown away by the wind. Hehehe...
 
yeah, that gym photo is pretty eerie. but i would say it's good to have a savior 'complex'... or at least to help out those in need, if you are able to anyway. as the saying goes: people never forget a helping hand.... :)
 
i wouldn't think that you're apathetic. the fact that you're even thinking how apathetic you can be gets you halfway of not being apathetic. the other half is actually doing something.
 
what do i do then?
 
well, you can look for volunteer opportunities at non-profits or charities. or you can just donate to charity, if you don't have time to volunteer. :)
 
Post a Comment