Give the Day a Chance to Start

give the day a chance to start

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Point and click


I came accross this photograph I'd taken in Sonya's Garden in Tagaytay. We went there so many months ago that I'd already forgotten about the whole trip, much less this snapshot. Seeing the photo, though, made me remember my passion for photography. What used to be a hobby has sadly turned into one of my many frustrations.

It wasn't so many years back that I frequently took photographs of almost anything and everything. Back in high school, I surprisingly even won awards for categories such as Photojournalism, Still Life, and Character Portrait. Black and white photography was what I did best, too. I took lessons from Raymund Lauchengco, knew all about the proper aperture and shutter speed, and best of all, captured priceless moments with a legit SLR.

Now I ask myself: Whatever came of that hobby? Was it just a pastime? I don't think so because I never got tired of it. I never lost interest. I always loved, and still love, pointing and clicking. It's sad to think that maybe I just "got too busy"--lame excuse as that is. But I can't pinpoint not pursuing that passion further to any other cause. Now that I'm reminded of how much photography meant to me, I'm reluctant about getting started again for fear that I've already lost it... you know, the ability to capture. Not to mention the fact that photography is one time-consuming and expensive hobby!

If I had the time and the resources, would I even be any good? Did I really have potential back in the day? I can only wonder at this point.


posted by mari_elle at 22:07
Comments:
Suportahan ta ka!
 
It's never too late to give it another go. And with DSLRs coming closer and closer to the level of film (or in your words a legit SLR) then the only heavy investment would be the camera itself and a couple of lenses. A Konica Minolta Dynax 5D or the Canon EOS 350D would be a good start. Dali na, pabili na kay ate. Suportahan ka naman daw nya e.
 
Ate, did you read that? Pabili! Hehehe...
 
Sige, teka, hanap muna ako ng boyfriend na politikong nangungurakot, tapos magpapa-bilmoko ako.

/sarcasm :p
 
ate, bat kelangan pa politiko? pwede namang smuggler o di kaya COO (child of owner) ng malaking kumpanya. hehe ;)

i don't think you actually lose "it" even if you stop taking photographs. once you start again you'll feel that you didn't stop at all.

i've wanted to take formal photography lessons but haven't really gotten around doing so. hopefully soon though. haha! and as adam said, with the advent of dSLRs, photography may actually start to become a less expensive hobby ;)
 
Hmmm... you guys got me REALLY thinking about it now.
 
Post a Comment