Give the Day a Chance to Start

give the day a chance to start

Thursday, August 31, 2006

My default response

I realize I cannot, for the life of me, put up a friendly front for people I don't like. While it's one thing to feign a smile or to deal cordially with even the most unlikeable individuals, I can't seem to "just be nice". It's one thing to be civil towards people I don't get along with; it's quite another to be hypocritically friendly.

Ironically, though, I also don't think I'm a confrontational person. When I'm disappointed or annoyed at someone, I don't lash out at them nor do I merely shake off the negative emotions and pretend like nothing happened. The default reaction, then, is me giving the cold shoulder. I know what you're all thinking: "Gee, Marielle, how mature of you." Sarcasm noted. But at this point, I just can't seem to strike the balance between the two extremes. The silent treatment is then my default response and in my opinion, the coward's course of action. I'll be the first to admit that this makes me a wimp.

Which brings me to my point: When am I gonna be able to show at least some maturity when it comes to issues like these?

posted by mari_elle at 12:58
Comments:
that is a difficult situation, really, especially in our culture where people tend to read too much between the lines up to the point of misreading our actions.
 
i know what you mean, ade! we're so high context.
 
"Silence is golden" as they say. And Thumper said "If you can't thay somethin nithe, don't thay nothin at all..."

It's the same case with someone you really like who has irritated you so... hahahaha. ahrrrmmm! It's not immature to give someone the cold shoulder or silent treatment if you absolutely don't know what to say. It's even less mature to act unbecomingly. It's different though if you're giving the cold shoulder to get attention or send a message, then might as well write that person a letter than have them try to read your behavior. :)
 
less talk, less mistakes, haha ;)
 
yeah, kid. i should know. i always suffer from what my sister has labeled the FMD syndrome. (Foot in Mouth Disease) Teehee.. but i usually blurt out embarrassing or ridiculous things. nothing of the serious stuff.
 
it may seem that you are just being passive. but i think that's better than acting rashly towards a person. it's good that you keep your mouth shut. but i suggest that you process things. don't fan the flame, but don't let it go to its natural death unnoticed. julia was right when she said that you should write to that person. that way, you would be able to collect your thoughts, and the latter would be aided in processing their issues as well. then that's the time, the best time to talk.

come to think of it, it's very true of your persona. i'll keep on praying for you:*
 
Post a Comment