Give the Day a Chance to Start

give the day a chance to start

Monday, June 13, 2005

Family project

Today was supposedly a nationwide holiday celebrating our country's independence, but instead of lounging around and exploiting this opportunity to rest, my family and I up and decided to do a mad-car-cleaning session. The four of us were scrubbing, rinsing, waxing, and buffing at the garage like crazy, so much so that it almost looked as if we spontaneously put up our own small-scale, family carwash business. It sucked all the energy out of me (try four cars!), but I had fun just the same. At a certain point there, I was even obsessive compulsively polishing the dashboards like a madman just to make them look all shiny and new.

Basically, we spent the rest of the day together. Tonight, as Mama and I binged on peanuts in front of the telly, we got to talk a little. I told her about how I was starting to feel slightly anxious about this bumming stage in my life. Then, of course, there was the customary (but heartfelt nonetheless) mommy's pep talk that can inspire like no other. That was very comforting to me.

I wish there were more days like these. Ever since we moved up here, we've all been so incredibly busy that we hadn't had as much time to bond. Sure, we were still in many respects a close-knit family, but there were hardly enough moments to truly build and nurture the relationships further. For a time there, it was as if we all went on a plateau, not really drifting away but also not growing any closer. Now time is something I have a lot of. However, I'm starting to notice that time, if not shared with people I care about, is almost as useless as if I didn't have it at all.

Which brings me back to my over-eagerness to find work and get on with it soon... Maybe God is giving me all this time to pick up where I left off with the people I care about the most. Come to think of it, I was away the most when I was still in college. Hmm...

Rethink all this, I shall. (Forgive my Yoda-speak. It's become quite involuntary after that recent Starwars overdose.)

posted by mari_elle at 23:29
Comments: Post a Comment