Give the Day a Chance to Start

give the day a chance to start

Friday, July 15, 2005

Ursula's evil spell

As a kid, I was convinced I was a little mermaid stuck in a little girl's body. Imagine, I wished I had scaly fish fins rather than my two human legs. I know, I know. I was deluded. But you can't really blame a little girl for wanting to be one of Disney's beautiful princesses, especially since I grew up watching Princess Ariel's adventures at sea and on land. Added to the fact that my name sounded like her's (what a shallow reason!), she was gorgeous, had an enchanting voice, and eventually got her "happily ever after." Every girl needs her fairytale. But that's really beside the whole point of this entry. Heehee...

I've always been prone to losing my voice. Laryngitis is the medical term for it, but since I'm so deluded as to think that I am Princess Ariel jumped out of the cartoon world, I'd refer to the symptom as Ursula's Evil Spell. For those of you who have no idea about what I'm referring to, watch The Little Mermaid. It's one of Disney's last classic productions before their animations became too digital/computerized. Anyway, for the benefit of those who haven't seen that classic, Ursula was the evil witch who turned Ariel's fins into human legs in exchange for her voice. Ariel wanted to become human, walk on land, and find the prince she'd fallen inlove with. Problem there was that Ariel's voice was the only distinct thing Prince Eric (her "knight in shining armor" err... actually, he was a bit of a helpless wuss in the story) could associate with her--she who saved him from drowning and in so doing won his heart over. Of course, the story ends happily ever after. Just watch it if you want the other juicy details. What I'm driving at is that Princess Ariel and I have soooooooooo much in common! So, I guess I'm not that deluded, am I? Whatever, Marielle. I'm just trying to make sense out of this dratted tendency of mine to lose my voice. It probably happens at least once a year. I lose my voice either from overworking my vocal cords or from suffering from severe cough and colds.

Ursula stole it again today. Or it's probably just because I've been talking to applicants non-stop the whole week. That's the nature of my job. It may take a little getting used to, but for now, I'd best keep my mouth shut and rest my vocal cords. I need my voice back before work resumes on Monday. I'm glad one thing I don't have in common with Ariel is my reason for needing my voice back. Her's was to convinced the love of her life that she was the love of his life. Mine is less sappy and more practical: to do well at work and keep earning moolah! I know. I'm shallow. So sue me!

posted by mari_elle at 20:41
Comments:
Hay naku! Feeling ko lang. Kapag naging Ariel ka super puti mo pa rin... so in short magmumukha kang fake na mermaid. haha! I miss you Ate Pung!ΓΌ
 
Post a Comment