Give the Day a Chance to Start

give the day a chance to start

Friday, February 10, 2006

guffaw: (v) to laugh loudly / (n) a loud laugh

Since C.S. Lewis uses a lot of uncommon words, figures of speech, and English idioms in his works, I dare say reading Narnia has added quite a lot of words to my vocabulary! Call me a nerd, but it is a habit of mine to keep a dictionary handy while reading. I just have to remember to use these newly-learned words even once in a day. Otherwise, I just totally forget what their definitions are, which only means having to look them up in the dictionary all over again.

Speaking of books, my sister and I found this gorgeous hard-bound compilation of Charles Dickens Stories for Christmas at Books For Less. It was such a rare find because the pages were printed the way it was originally published way back when--like it was authentically type-written by Dickens himself--the bottom of each page was lined with pretty, Christmas-y hollies, and the gold lettering of the olive green fabric cover made the book so magical it was almost as if the book itself would come alive and burst open with fairy dust! We just couldn't resist. So my sister made the purchase. For its price, it was (for lack of better words) a good deal. And did I mention that among the stories featured in the compilation is one of my favorite classics: A Christmas Carol?

I'd better save up for more book shelves.

posted by mari_elle at 21:10
Comments: Post a Comment